I feel like the past two years of my life has been a constant struggle against getting unstuck. This doesn’t just pertain to my clarinet playing but every other aspect of my life. This will be my immediate focus for the time being.
This state prevents me from getting things done in time. For instance, I don’t practice as often as I would like and when I would like. It also adds tremendous amount of tension in my playing which obviously results in pain and all sorts of other issues. Most of all, frustration and anxiety from all this gets in the way of everything else and it becomes a vicious cycle of procrastination, frustration and pain.
There are a number of simple things I can do to alleviate these issues.
- Making sure I am drinking enough water
- Starting my day with a protein heavy day
- Taking the supplements and vitamins I have found that helps with my mood and pain issues
- Making sure that I stick to my pre-practice routine and post-practice stretching routines
- Take Aleve as needed
Now for the hard stuff:
- Maintain a strong meditation practice
- Incorporate mindfulness to as many aspects of my life
- Practice self massage on troubled areas 1-2x a day
- Maintain a regular cardio and strength based exercise program
- Sprinkle in some tai chi and yoga which ties together all of the above
- Stay at least a day ahead of schedule in terms of planning
I also acknowledge that I cannot do all this alone. So how can I enlist others in helping me? Some ideas perhaps?
- Get some massage and/or energy healing
- See my dear friend, Jill for some Alexander Technique lessons
- Get a lesson or two to see if I am doing something completely out of whack
- Most of all, maintaining social contact will be key
I will work on fleshing out these ideas into an actual plan starting later today.